Songhai Concepts

Media Literacy/Digital Archiving Instructor

Thursday, December 21, 2006

When We Were Freshmen?

By now it's no secret that I don't own a single paper, project, report card, picture, book bag or bus token to prove that I was once a freshman. Well, I do have my diploma and I still have a few buddies from Central that I keep in touch with - mostly at class reunions, but seriously, other than a few hastily written phone numbers and e-mails that I collected at my 30th year high school reunion, I have no proof that I was ever a freshman in high school.


I still have a few literature books from my years at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I have a few newsletters, and a handful of photographs. I have my college degree and I still keep in touch with a few guys who attended IUP with me, but other than fond memories, that's all I've got.
My daughter graduated from IUP two years ago. It seems like yesterday that she was in the 5th grade.

You, on the other hand, have the ability to accumulate, organize and design a body of work that you can refer to for the next 20, 30, 40 years after you graduate.
As long as there is an internet, you will be able to show your children and your children's children how you were taught and what you learned when you were a freshman.

This is a very exciting time to be a student. Your blog, your wiki, your surveys, and your social bookmarks will be accessible to you as long as there is a World Wide Web. Can you imagine in the year 2020 pulling up your blog page that you started in 2006? What will it look like? What will you be talking about then? Remember, your World Wide Web profile carries as much clout as your physical/hard copy profile.

Always be dilligent. Continue to work hard every day. It will pay off for you tomorrow.

Will there be homework over the holiday break?


Did Charlie Parker play the alto saxophone?
Did Amiri Baraka write Ka'Ba?
Did Paul Laurence Dunbar write Lyrics of Lowly Life?
Did Katherine Dunham know how to dance?
Is Smokey Robinson a poet?

There is you answer.


ASSIGNMENT

SEASONS













What is significant about today - December 21st?

What is significant about the same day in June?

Have you ever had a 6/21 day in winter?

Have you ever had a 12/21/ day in summer?

Please explain your answers in two or more paragraphs.
Please post on your blog and your wiki.
Title this post Seasons.

p.s. The significance I'm looking for goes beyond the fact that these days are the first days of winter and summer.

Mr. Songhai
12/21/06

Painting, Mixed and Mixed Up by Kenneth Brooker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Sign up for Loopt at www.loopt.com